When most people think of Italian wedding soup, they think of a light, brothy soup packed with tiny meatballs and pasta. While this is certainly a classic version of the dish, this hearty soup can also be made with a variety of vegetables and lean meats for a healthier option. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make a delicious Italian wedding soup that is both healthy and satisfying. So let’s get started!
- What Is Healthy Italian Wedding Soup?
- Why You’ll Love This Healthy Italian Wedding soup?
- What’s The Difference Between Italian Wedding Soup And Minestrone?
- What Are The Meatballs In Healthy Italian Wedding Soup Made Of?
- What Are The Ingredients In Healthy Italian Wedding Soup?
- How Do You Make Healthy Italian Wedding Soup?
- What To Serve?
- Can You Freeze Healthy Italian Wedding Soup?
- Some Tips:
- Variations On The Healthy Italian Wedding soup:
- Best Healthy Italian Wedding Soup
What Is Healthy Italian Wedding Soup?
Healthy Italian wedding soup is a traditional Italian soup made with beef broth, vegetables, and small meatballs. The soup is often served at weddings as a first course, but it can also be enjoyed as a main meal or appetizer. Healthy Italian wedding soup is a hearty and filling soup that is full of flavor and nutrients. The broth in healthy Italian wedding soup is typically made with beef stock, but chicken or vegetable broth can also be used. The vegetables commonly used in the soup include carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. The meatballs are usually made with ground beef or pork, but they can also be made with chicken or turkey. Healthy Italian wedding soup is usually seasoned with salt, pepper, and herbs such as basil, oregano, and thyme.
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Italian Wedding soup?
This healthy Italian wedding soup is not only delicious but also hearty and filling. It’s packed with nutritious vegetables, lean protein, and fiber-rich beans. This soup is also low in calories and fat, making it a great choice for those looking for a healthy and satisfying meal. Additionally, this soup can be easily made ahead of time and frozen for future meals. Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner option, or a hearty and healthy soup to keep you warm all winter long, this Italian wedding soup is sure to please.
What’s The Difference Between Italian Wedding Soup And Minestrone?
Italian wedding soup and minestrone are both Italian soups made with a variety of vegetables. The main difference between the two is that minestrone is usually made with a tomato-based broth, while Italian wedding soup is usually made with a chicken or beef broth. Additionally, Italian wedding soup typically contains pasta or rice, while minestrone is usually made with a thicker, starchy vegetable like potatoes. Finally, minestrone is typically served as a main course, while Italian wedding soup is more commonly served as an appetizer.
What Are The Meatballs In Healthy Italian Wedding Soup Made Of?
There are a variety of meatballs that can be used in Italian wedding soup, but the most common are made from a combination of ground beef and pork. Sometimes veal or chicken may also be used. The meatballs are usually seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley. The meatballs are usually about 1-2 inches in diameter and are cooked in the soup until they are browned and cooked through.
What Are The Ingredients In Healthy Italian Wedding Soup?
The ingredients in Healthy Italian Wedding soup include:
Chicken, beef, or veal broth, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Some versions of the soup may also include pasta, rice, or beans.
How Do You Make Healthy Italian Wedding Soup?
Italian Wedding Soup is a healthy and delicious soup that is perfect for any occasion. The key to making this soup healthy is to use lean ground beef, healthy vegetables, and a good quality chicken broth. This soup can be made in advance and frozen for later use.
To make this soup, simply:
1. In a large soup pot, brown the ground beef over medium heat until it is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat and remove it from the pot.
2. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, rice, oregano, and black pepper to the pot.
4. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup for 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
5. Serve the soup hot with some crusty bread on the side.
What To Serve?
There are a few different ways that you can enjoy your healthy Italian wedding soup. One way is to simply ladle it into bowls and enjoy it as is. This makes for a great, quick and easy meal that is packed with nutrients and flavor. Another way to enjoy this soup is to serve it over some hearty bread or crackers. This makes for a more filling meal that will help to stick to your ribs. No matter how you choose to enjoy it, this soup is sure to please.
Can You Freeze Healthy Italian Wedding Soup?
Yes, you can freeze Italian wedding soup. Simply place the soup in a freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to enjoy the soup, simply thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stovetop.To keep it fresh, make sure to store it in an airtight container. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply reheat and eat! Enjoy your delicious and healthy Italian wedding soup!
-Choose lean cuts of meat, such as chicken or turkey, for your soup.
-Cut up your vegetables into bite-sized pieces so they cook evenly.
-Add some healthy whole grains, like farro or quinoa, to your soup for extra fiber and nutrients.
-Make a big batch of soup so you have leftovers for the week. Freeze any extras in individual portion sizes for an easy lunch or dinner.
Variations On The Healthy Italian Wedding soup:
You can also leave out the rice and add some small pasta instead. Just be sure to cook it separately so it doesn’t get mushy. If you want a bit more of a hearty soup, feel free to add some cooked ground beef or sausage to the mix. Finally, if you’re not a fan of spinach, you could always substitute kale or Swiss chard.
This particular version of the soup is my personal favorite, but feel free to experiment and find the combination that you like best!
Best Healthy Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 head escarole, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans
- Add the ground chicken, almond flour, and parmesan cheese to a mixing bowl.
- Add whisked egg along with garlic salt tooth and plunge it all together until well combined. Use the cookie scooping technique feeding them into your hand then rolling them into balls before placing them on a baking sheet lined with mouth parchment paper- one batch should make around 22 -24(1½-inch) meatballs.
- Heat a large dutch oven (this is the same one you will use to cook the soup) over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in a tablespoon of olive oil, and add a few of the prepared chicken meatballs.
- Cook the meatballs for 1-2 minutes per side until they are golden brown. Remove the meatballs from the dutch oven and set them aside. Continue this process in batches until all of the meatballs have been browned.
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then film onto the bottom with 2-3 meatballs at once.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side until golden brown; remove from pan using spatula or fork carefully so as not to break apart any cooked pieces yet! Continue this process in batches until all ingredients have been cooked through.
- Add a few drops of olive oil to the pan and then add onions, carrots, and green beans . Add garlic with Italian seasoning for extra flavor. Sauté these vegetables until they are soft and the onions are translucent for about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, diced tomatoes with tomato paste, and then add salt and black pepper to taste. Stir these ingredients together and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through.
- Add zucchini and escarole and cook for an additional 5 minutes. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Thank you for reading our blog post on healthy Italian wedding soup recipes. We hope you found the information helpful and will try out one of the delicious recipes we shared. Remember, all of the recipes are simple to make with easy-to-find ingredients, so there’s no excuse not to enjoy a steaming bowl of this classic soup! As always, we appreciate your feedback and would love to hear about your experiences cooking up these soups. Please feel free to share photos or comments on our social media pages or in the comment section below. Until next time, happy cooking!
You can read more: 5 Best Healthy Chinese Soup Recipes